The Iowa City Public Library will host an open house from 3 to 6 p.m. Thursday, November 14, to showcase its new spaces to the public.
The Library is wrapping up its two-year Better Building, Better Service interior renovation project. This project resulted in several changes all designed to improve service for Library patrons. Some of the changes include:
- The creation of the Koza Family Teen Center for students in grades seven through 12.
- A new Children’s Technology Center in the Ellen Buchanan Children’s Room.
- A new location of the staffed Children’s Desk to improve accessibility.
- The installation of electronic bulletin board systems.
- More Self Checkout stations.
- The introduction of the Library’s digital magazine collection.
- A centralized movie collection space.
- More bookshelves for materials reserved by patrons.
The Better Building, Better Service project would not have been possible without the generous support of the Iowa City Public Library Friends Foundation. Major contributions were received from ACT, Roy J. Carver Charitable Trust, Community Foundation of Johnson County, Hands Jewelers, Hills Bank and Trust Company, MidAmerican Energy Foundation, The MidWestOne Bank Foundation, the University of Iowa, and the University of Iowa Community Credit Union.
The Library appreciates the public’s cooperation and understanding during the renovation process. Please visit on November 14 to see what’s new. Cider and cookies will be served.
# # #