Children are invited to celebrate the arts during Children’s Day on Saturday, June 7.
This annual event, produced by the Iowa City Public Library with the Summer of the Arts during the Iowa Arts Festival, encourages kids’ creativity with an extensive lineup of hands-on activities to promote Fizz, Boom, Read – the 2014 Summer Reading Program for children.
More than a dozen booths will be set up on the City Plaza, with activities ranging from fiber art crafts and musical instruments to dinosaurs and magic. In case of rain, art activities will be held inside the Library.
Children also can enjoy live performances on the Family Stage. This year’s schedule is as follows:
- 10 a.m.: The After School Specials Rock Concert by Shimek Elementary School BASP
- 10:45 a.m. Eulenspiegel Puppets presents “Eulenspiegel’s Circus”
- 11:45 a.m. Orchestra Iowa’s Pied Piper String Quartet Concert
- 12:30 p.m. Craig Stevens, Magician
- 1:30 p.m. City Circle Acting Company and “The Mystery of Edwin Drood”
- 1:45 p.m. Mrs. Hinky Dink’s Clown Magic Show
- 2:30 p.m. Family Folk Machine Sing-Along
Children’s Day also is the official planting day for the Library’s Children’s Garden on the City Plaza. Kids are invited to help Scott Koepke, the education and outreach coordinator for New Pioneer Food Co-op’s Soilmates program, and Rachael Carlson, who works with the Iowa City UNESCO City of Literature, plant this year’s garden, which will include green beans, lettuce, and carrots.
All produce harvested from the Children’s Garden is donated to Table To Table, which provides food for the area’s hungry, homeless and at-risk population by partnering with nearly 30 organizations in Johnson County.
Children’s Day begins at 10 a.m. with activities concluding at 3 p.m.
For more information about Children’s Day, call the Iowa City Public Library at (319) 356-5200.
For more information about the Summer Reading Program, visit www.icpl.org/srp
For a complete schedule of the Iowa Arts Festival, visit www.summeroftheARTS.org