Many of us are busy making (or breaking already?) our New Year’s resolutions. And, I have a suggestion for you — resolve to use the Library more in 2016. Here are a few specific suggestions.
1. Participate in our first ever Winter Reading Program. It’s intended to challenge people to keep reading in the winter and try out some new things. Pick up a game card today.
2. Attend Music-is-the-Word programs. We are entering Season 2 of our special music programming, intended to welcome the University of Iowa School of Music to downtown Iowa City. Programs are aimed at all ages and a variety of interests.
3. Get free digital magazines through the library’s Zinio subscription (restricted to Iowa City, rural county, University Heights, Hills and Lone Tree residents). If you’re uncertain how to set this up bring your device and come to a Drop in Tech-Help session where staff will provide assistance.
4. Read to a child. In February we will be launching a 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program. Sign up a child you know and bring them to the Library often.
5. Make a gift to the Iowa City Public Library Friends Foundation. Through gifts we are able to support and strengthen our collections and programming.
I resolve to do all of these things! I think these are resolutions I can stick with. Happy 2016.