An Iowa Department of Transportation self-service driver’s license renewal station is now available at the Iowa City and North Liberty libraries.
The renewal kiosk is a web-based device that uses touch-screen technology to allow each customer to renew their own driver’s license or ID, including a secure update of the photo that will appear on the customer’s new card.
ICPL’s kiosk is located on the Library’s second floor. North Liberty’s kiosk is locatedin the entry,across from the Information Desk. The kiosks are accessible all hours the libraries are open, offering evening service that is not available at the Iowa City driver’s license station.
The DOT’s self-service kiosks made their debut at the Iowa State Fair in 2013. Since then, several kiosks have been installed at driver’s license stations, grocery stores, and libraries throughout the state. The Iowa Department of Transportation expects self-service kiosks to save time and travel for customers who choose electronic service options, while saving time and reducing congestion for customers who choose or require personal service at issuance locations.
Self-service kiosks transactions can be used to renew and replace licenses. To do this, customers must meet the following conditions:
- The customer has a valid noncommercial Iowa driver’s license or ID (not a commercial driver’s license).
- The customer is at least 18, but younger than 70 years old.
- The customer’s driver’s license or ID has not been expired for more than a year.
- It is not more than 180 days before the expiration date on the customers current driver’s license or ID.
- The customer is a U.S. citizen.
- The customer does not have any medical or vision conditions that negatively impact the customer’s ability to safely drive.
- The customer does not need to change the customer’s name, or license class, endorsements or restrictions.
The kiosks are serviced by personnel from the Iowa City driver’s license station.
For more information, call the Iowa City Public Library at (319) 356-5200 or the North Liberty Community Library at (319) 626-5701.